Senior Policy Associate
WHO WE ARE
Verified Voting’s mission is to strengthen democracy for all voters by promoting the responsible use of technology in elections – and our advocacy and public education efforts are more important than ever. VV was founded by computer scientists in 2004. Our team, Board of Directors and Board of Advisors have been leading experts on relevant issues in election technology. Their collected knowledge has been foundational in understanding where vulnerabilities lie and in promoting policies and best practices that mitigate risks. We work with election officials, policymakers, and democracy defenders across party lines to help voters vote and to promote justified public confidence in elections.
Verified Voting (www.verifiedvoting.org) seeks a Senior Policy Associate (SPA) to join its growing programs team. This is a full time salaried position reporting to the Policy & Strategy Director.
As we head into an election year, the SPA will play an integral role on Verified Voting’s programs team, helping the organization ramp up work in priority states and respond effectively to new developments as they arise. The SPA will lead our engagement in several priority states related to Verified Voting’s key issue areas, including robust tabulation audits, ballot accounting, chain-of-custody documentation, and other best practices that support public confidence in elections. (The states will be determined in coordination with other team members who serve as state leads.) The SPA will not lobby, but will advocate for improved policies in priority states, engaging with various stakeholders. They will also collaborate closely with election officials, providing procedural and technical assistance related to implementation of risk-limiting audits and other best practices. The SPA will also provide election officials with strategic messaging support to help them effectively communicate the impact of their work to voters.
The SPA will work closely with team members on other policy work and may lead research and writing projects. In particular, the SPA will help develop new materials and resources to capitalize on the upcoming conclusions of a new messaging research project.
We are a fully remote organization — the only requirements are that you are eligible to work in the US, that your location is in the US, and that you have a workspace that allows you to complete the demands of the position. Verified Voting's official operating hours are 9am-5pm Eastern Time, but we work together to accommodate team members' various time zones, circumstances, and work styles. Occasional in-person meetings and travel opportunities are possible.
- Contribute to policy formation and articulation related to Verified Voting’s work
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders and monitor relevant developments in selected priority states
- Provide expertise for policy improvements in meetings, statements, and written and oral testimony to state legislatures
- When appropriate, partner with election officials on implementation of risk-limiting audits and other best practices
- Contribute to the development of new resources and support existing VV resources, and other projects
- Work and collaborate well in a remote team environment, sharing information and responsibilities with other state leads and colleagues
- Occasionally represent Verified Voting at conferences, virtually or in person
- Travel to priority states as appropriate, potentially several weeks in some months (but this is unusual)
Experience and skills required
- Minimum five years of relevant work experience
- Ability and motivation to learn about complex policy issues and election procedures
- Ability to articulate key policy, procedural, and technical concepts to various non-technical audiences, orally and in writing
- Strong outreach skills and initiative
- Ability to build trusting and productive relationships with partners across the political spectrum
- Ability to draft concrete legislative or regulatory proposals, including legislative text and supporting policy documents with minimal supervision
- Ability to function and collaborate effectively in a remote work environment
- Experience working with diverse teams
- Experience working with state legislatures, government, or the public sector is a plus
- Policy analysis and development and/or election administration experience is a plus
- Knowledge of election technology and/or voting rights issues is a plus
Flexible work schedule and a supportive work environment. We value flexibility to support our team holistically, and prioritize results over rigid schedules. People are encouraged to take exercise breaks during the work day, to attend their child’s swim class, and to handle whatever life may require in a typical workday. We genuinely care about the wellbeing of our teammates.
Competitive pay and excellent benefits. In addition to a competitive salary, Verified Voting’s benefits package includes comprehensive medical and dental/vision insurance, STD, LTD and Life Insurance, 3 weeks of paid vacation leave, 2 weeks sick/medical leave, 13 paid company holidays, plus additional flexible PTO with manager approval. We close the office the week between Christmas and New Year’s, and close our office early on Friday. We offer three months of paid parental leave, and the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan, with employer match after two months of tenure. We offer a home office reimbursement to help cover the cost of high speed internet and more, as well as a wellness reimbursement for exercise or hobbies.
Ample opportunities for career development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organization emphasizes mentorship, growth, and learning, and has a dedicated budget for training and career development.
Commitment to a diverse workplace. Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
Eligibility for some of these benefits depends on the length of your tenure.
A background check and reference check is part of this hiring process.
To apply, please use the application form that can also be found on our website: verifiedvoting.org/careers. To ensure our application review process reflects our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we employ an anonymous review process. As such, please carefully review and follow the directions on how to anonymize your application. If the application instructions are not followed, your application may not be reviewed.
Research shows that candidates from marginalized populations are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications in a job description. Verified Voting is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. We strongly encourage interested individuals to apply, even if they don't believe they have every quality, strength, and experience listed.