Policy and Research Associate
We are excited that there has been overwhelming interest in this position. As such, we will begin an early review of applications, with those sent and received by us by March 15 receiving priority consideration. Any applications sent after will be reviewed as needed.
WHO WE ARE
Verified Voting’s mission is to strengthen democracy for all voters by promoting the responsible use of technology in elections – and our advocacy and public education efforts are more important than ever. Founded by computer scientists in 2004, our team, Board of Directors and Board of Advisors have been leading experts on relevant issues in election technology. Their collected technical knowledge has been foundational in understanding where vulnerabilities lie and in promoting policies and best practices that mitigate risks. We work with election officials, policymakers, and democracy defenders across party lines to help voters vote and to promote justified public confidence in elections.
Verified Voting (www.verifiedvoting.org) seeks a Policy and Research Associate (PRA) to join its growing program team. This is a full time salaried position reporting to the Policy & Strategy Director.
The PRA will closely track relevant legislation and rulemaking across the United States. This work includes interpreting and summarizing the content of legislative proposals, evaluating relevant political context, and making recommendations on how to respond. The PRA will also monitor and summarize selected legislative hearings and other events, and may contribute to policy documents and research papers or projects. The position will provide an exciting opportunity to learn about the policymaking process, while developing expertise in the election security space.
We are a fully remote organization — the only requirements are that you are eligible to work in the US, that your location is in the US, and that you have a workspace that allows you to complete the demands of the position. Verified Voting's official operating hours are 9am-5pm Eastern Time, but we work together to accommodate team members' various time zones, circumstances, and work styles. Occasional in-person meetings and travel opportunities are possible.
- Monitor and analyze relevant state and federal legislation and rulemaking initiatives related to our work
- In collaboration with team members, assess and recommend whether and how to respond to legislative and rulemaking initiatives
- Virtually attend selected hearings, webinars, and other online events relevant to Verified Voting’s work; share relevant information and notes internally
- Contribute to maintaining the State Audit Law Database (https://verifiedvoting.org/auditlaws/)
- Contribute to policy formation or research projects
- Possible occasional travel
Experience and skills required
- BA or BS degree or equivalent, with some knowledge of the policymaking process preferred
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience
- Ability and motivation to learn about complex policy issues and election procedures
- Ability to learn and use legislative tracking software and other software packages
- Ability to analyze legislation and similar writing and to summarize key content; detail orientation is crucial
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively in a fully remote organization
- Knowledge of voting rights and/or election technology issues a plus!
The salary range for this position is $58,000 - $68,000 annually commensurate with experience.
- Flexible and supportive work environment. We have a culture that values flexibility in our team members’ schedules and supports people holistically. People are encouraged to take exercise breaks during the work day, to attend their child’s swim class, and to handle whatever life may require in a typical workday. We care about the work getting done, not when it gets done, and genuinely care about the wellbeing of our teammates.
- Generous PTO. All team members have 3 weeks of paid vacation leave, 2 weeks sick/medical leave, 11 paid company holidays off, plus additional flexible PTO with manager approval. We also close the office the week between Christmas and New Year’s and close our ‘office’ early for summer Fridays.
- Comprehensive medical and dental/vision insurance.
- Remote work reimbursement to help cover the cost of high speed internet and more.
- Other benefits include: three months of paid parental leave and the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan, with employer match after two months of tenure.
Eligibility for some of these benefits depends on the length of your tenure. A background check and reference check is part of this hiring process.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer. We value diverse perspectives because we have seen this drive more effective solutions. We strongly encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.