Verified Voting (https://verifiedvoting.org), seeks an experienced Development Director to join its growing leadership team as we prepare for the 2024 elections and beyond. This is a full time salaried position reporting to the President/CEO.
Verified Voting’s advocacy and public education mission is to strengthen democracy for all voters by promoting the responsible use of technology in elections. Founded by computer scientists in 2004, Verified Voting is a leading national not-for-profit, non-partisan organization focused on the critical role technology plays in election administration. Drawing on a foundation of deep technical expertise, we work with election officials, policy makers, and democracy defenders across party lines to help voters vote and promote justified public confidence in elections.
The Development Director will lead a three person development team while staffing the President/CEO and Board members in their fundraising roles. In service of achieving a 30% increase in revenue in the next two years, the Development Director will apply their experience and ingenuity to identifying, cultivating, securing and stewarding new development initiatives and donors while strategically expanding capacity and impact.
We are a fully remote organization and occasional travel may be required. The only location requirements are that you are eligible to work in the U.S., that you live in the U.S., and that you have a dedicated workspace that allows you to professionally participate in virtual meetings while maintaining donor confidentiality.
- Collaborating with the President & CEO to set and achieve Verified Voting’s annual and long-term fundraising strategy, goals, and benchmarks
- Leading and managing a talented team of committed professionals to include a Development Officer responsible for foundation and institutional giving and development operations management, and working closely with the Development Operations and Data Specialist in a non-supervisory capacity
- Stewarding a portfolio of 50+ existing major donors, re-engaging lapsed individuals, and building a sustainable prospect pipeline
- Working closely with the President & CEO, Board of Directors, and other staff to coordinate management of key funder relationships
- Developing effective moves management, donor identification and qualification, tracking, and other systems that can support the team in achieving revenue goals
- Exploring impactful opportunities for donor engagement, partnerships, and fundraising campaigns
- Working with the communications team to create a suite of compelling case materials aligned with VV’s mission and strategic objectives
- Budgeting and working with the operations team in accordance with both 501(c)3 and (c)4 nonprofit financial management best practices
- At least seven years of nonprofit fundraising experience, with a particular emphasis on identifying, cultivating, and stewarding major gifts
- A lived commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our core values of democracy, effectiveness, collaboration, trustworthiness, and respect
- Comfortable both making frontline asks, and coaching staff and board members in their work with donors
- A combination of high-level strategic thinking and ability to manage tasks on a day-to-day basis
- Strong financial, federal and state (c)3 and (c)4 non-profit compliance, and data analysis knowledge and skills, including budgeting, forecasting, and report-building
- Knowledge of current and emergent philanthropic priorities in the democracy and voting rights space a plus
- Enthusiasm for learning and communicating technical concepts and complex policy initiatives to a wide variety of audiences
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Familiarity with Salesforce, donor prospecting/research tools such as WealthEngine, project management tools such as Asana, and other digital tools and platforms (e.g. Slack, Zoom, Google Workspace) a plus
The salary range for this full time position is $100,000-$125,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
- Flexible and supportive work environment. We have a culture that values flexibility in our team member’s schedules and supports people holistically. People are encouraged to take exercise breaks during the work day, to attend their child’s swim class, and to handle whatever life may require in a typical workday. We care about the work getting done, not when it gets done, and genuinely care about the wellbeing of our teammates.
- Generous PTO. All team members have 3 weeks of paid vacation leave, 2 weeks sick/medical leave, 11 paid company holidays off, plus additional flexible PTO with manager approval. We also close the office the week between Christmas and New Year’s and close our ‘office’ early for summer Fridays.
- Comprehensive medical and dental/vision insurance.
- Long Term Disability and Life insurance, sponsored by Verified Voting.
- Remote work reimbursement to help cover the cost of high speed internet and more.
- Other benefits include: three months of paid parental leave and the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match.
Eligibility for some of these benefits depends on the length of your tenure.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and professional writing sample (no more than two pages and should illustrate your ability to effectively communicate with potential and/or existing donors) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer. We value diverse perspectives because we have seen this drive more effective solutions. We strongly encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.