Digital Communications Associate
Verified Voting (www.verifiedvoting.org) seeks a Digital Communications Associate to create engaging digital content, maintain digital assets used to reach and expand our audiences, and support our public education efforts. This position is 20 hours per week (.5 FTE), reports to the Senior Communications Officer, and will be a key member of our team.
Verified Voting’s mission is to strengthen democracy for all voters by promoting the responsible use of technology in elections – and our advocacy and public education efforts are more important than ever. Founded by computer scientists in 2004, our team, Board of Directors and Board of Advisors have been leading experts on relevant issues in election technology. Their collected technical knowledge has been foundational in understanding where vulnerabilities lie and in promoting policies and best practices that mitigate risks. We work with election officials, policymakers, and democracy defenders across party lines to help voters vote and to promote justified public confidence in elections.
The ideal candidate for this role is a visual storyteller who excels at distilling a complex topic into creative and engaging content. You will create and update content to reach election officials, legislators, election security advocates, everyday voters, and the media. You will work closely with the Senior Communications Officer and communications consultants to design digital assets and reports. You will also work with the website team and be responsible for creating website content and improving the website’s user experience. A passion for — or experience working in — the voting rights space is a plus.
We are a fully remote organization — the only requirements are that you are eligible to work in the US, that your location is in the US, and that you have a workspace that allows you to complete the demands of the position. The ideal candidate should have some available hours between 9:00am-5:00pm EST.
• Create and develop multimedia content, including infographics, handouts, social media shareables, and videos
• Carry design projects from concept to completion with meticulous use of our branding, styles, and iconography
• Work closely with team and consultants to broaden social media and website strategy and effectively increase our audience
• Maintain the website by posting new content, ensuring site is accessible and user-friendly, and working with website team on new projects
• Track and measure website performance
• Design, input, and send email blasts to our supporters
• Design formal publications, reports, and presentations
• Support other communications operations (as needed)
• Demonstrated experience in communications, marketing, website, design, or comparable field
• Proven graphic design expertise, strong design portfolio, and experience using common industry design software
• Experience with Wordpress or comparable CMS
• Experience with Mailchimp or comparable email marketing platform
• Familiarity with major social media platforms, SEO, and digital analytics
• Familiarity with accessibility standards for print and digital assets
• Familiarity with team-based project management, content strategy, and maintaining a content pipeline
• Impeccable attention to detail and precision
• Ability to work under tight deadlines
The salary range for this .5 FTE position is $32,000-$37,000 annually commensurate with experience.
• Flexible and supportive work environment. We have a culture that values flexibility in our team member’s schedules and supports people holistically. People are encouraged to take exercise breaks during the work day, to attend their child’s swim class, and to handle whatever life may require in a typical workday. We care about the work getting done, not when it gets done, and genuinely care about the wellbeing of our teammates.
• Generous PTO. All team members have 3 weeks of paid vacation leave, 2 weeks sick/medical leave, 11 paid company holidays off, plus additional flexible PTO with manager approval. We also close the office the week between Christmas and New Year’s and close our office early for summer Fridays.
• Comprehensive medical and dental/vision insurance.
• Remote work reimbursement to help cover the cost of high speed internet and more.
• Other benefits include: three months of paid parental leave and the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan, with employer match after two months of tenure.
Eligibility for some of these benefits depends on the length of your tenure. Some benefits are prorated for part time positions.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer. We value diverse perspectives because we have seen this drive more effective solutions. We strongly encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.