Verified Voting (www.verifiedvoting.org) seeks an experienced executive to join as its Managing Director (MD) to join the leadership team in driving effectively towards the organization’s strategic priorities. This position is full time, reports to the President & CEO, and will be a key member of Verified Voting’s leadership team.
Verified Voting’s mission is to strengthen democracy for all voters by promoting the responsible use of technology in elections – and our advocacy and public education efforts are more important than ever. Founded by computer scientists in 2004, our team, Board of Directors and Board of Advisors have been leading experts on relevant issues in election technology. Their collected technical knowledge has been foundational in understanding where vulnerabilities lie and in promoting policies and best practices that mitigate risks. We work with election officials, policymakers and democracy defenders across party lines to help voters vote and to promote justified public confidence in elections.
The ideal candidate is passionate about safeguarding our democracy and using your skills as a manager to unlock greater capacity towards our mission. You will be managing across the leadership team and departmental leads to support cross-team communication and project/process management. You bring relevant experience, emotional intelligence, communications abilities, and the desire to enhance systems and processes. You will also be working to help identify key gaps and room for improvement, and following up on action items to ensure the team is able to advance the mission. Your disposition enables you to make decisions that balance efficiency, effectiveness, and thoughtfulness. You are someone who can excel in a role that requires deep emotional intelligence, strategic thinking, and a love for getting things done.
We are a fully remote organization – the only requirements are that you are eligible to work in the US, that your location is in the US, and that you have a workspace that allows you to complete the demands of the position.
● Collaborating with the President & CEO, Director of Policy & Strategy, and the entire team to set and achieve Verified Voting’s annual and long-term program strategy, goals, and benchmarks
● Working closely with the leadership team to execute a hiring plan that addresses key gaps and expands our capacity to support our mission. While initially the MD will not have direct reports, the intention is for this role to take on significant management responsibilities and to identify where there are gaps that need to be filled with either new hires or internal restructuring of responsibilities
● Providing leadership on several high-level cross-team, cross-functional projects and initiatives such as developing work plans and reporting systems, and leading projects that require input from multiple departments and stakeholders
● Working alongside our Operations Director to continuously improve Verified Voting’s performance and evaluation processes, ensuring that they are effective
● Working alongside our Development Team, Operations Director, and Policy & Strategy Director to create systems for tracking programmatic work to support impact evaluation as well as reporting requirements
● Working with the Development Team and President & CEO to provide key programmatic updates to philanthropic supporters
● Supporting the development of departmental budgets and monitoring them quarterly to ensure that resources are used productively
● Supporting the President & CEO on moving other organizational priorities forward such as growing the Board of Directors, transitioning the Board into a governance role, and increasing engagement with the Advisory Board
● At least seven years of experience in organizational leadership, with a particular emphasis on working in the democracy space seen as a plus
● Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
● Strong organizational skills with a capacity to set priorities and handle complex tasks
● Demonstrated success identifying and filling gaps in creative ways
● Familiarity with project management tools such as Asana, and other digital tools andplatforms (e.g. Slack, Zoom, Google Drive)
The salary range for this position is $105,000 - $125,000 commensurate with experience.
● Flexible and supportive work environment. We have a culture that values flexibility in our team member’s schedules and supports people holistically. People are encouraged to take exercise breaks during the work day, to attend their child’s swim class, and to handle whatever life may require in a typical workday. We care about the work getting done, not when it gets done, and genuinely care about the wellbeing of our teammates.
● Generous PTO. All team members have 3 weeks of paid vacation leave, 2 weeks sick/medical leave, 11 paid company holidays off, plus additional flexible PTO with manager approval. We also close the office the week between Christmas and New Year’s and close our ‘office’ early for summer Fridays.
● Comprehensive medical and dental/vision insurance.
● Remote work reimbursement to help cover the cost of high speed internet and more.
● Other benefits include: three months of paid parental leave and the option toparticipate in a 403(b) retirement plan. Eligibility for some of these benefits depends on the length of your tenure. To apply, please senda cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer. We value diverse perspectives because we have seen this drive more effective solutions. We strongly encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.