Events Manager, Investor Relations
Unite America seeks a full-time Events Manager to join our Investor Relations team, which is working to build a first-of-its-kind, cross-partisan philanthropic community that aims to mobilize over $100M in new resources to scale the democracy reform movement.
Events serve as one of our primary touchpoints with Unite America prospects and investors, and the success of our events is critical to successful fundraising efforts. This role will play a key role in executing our fundraising strategy, with a strong emphasis on carrying out in-person and virtual events for Unite America’s investor community. This will include coordinating all event planning operations and logistics, supporting event strategy development, and managing relationships with vendors, venues, and speakers.
Every cycle, Unite America hosts a 150+ person, multi-day summit featuring prominent CEOs, former/current elected officials, and leading academics and journalists. The Events Manager will serve as the key team member designing and executing this hallmark event for our organization. Unite America also frequently hosts and co-hosts in-person salon events and virtual convenings for our investor community featuring members of Congress and statewide elected officials.
The ideal candidate will be a highly agile team player with the ability to effectively execute a range of tasks with support from other Investor Relations team members and leadership. Additionally, the ideal candidate will be organized, communicative, poised, and have a track record of being successful in a fast-paced and highly demanding startup environment. Flexibility in work hours will also be essential, as there may be occasions when you will be expected to execute an event on a weeknight or weekend.
The position will ideally be based at Unite America’s headquarters in Denver, CO, although exceptional remote candidates will be considered; Unite America offers a stipend for new hires willing to relocate. Remote employees may be expected to travel 1–2 times per quarter for team meetings and retreats.
This role reports to the Director of Investor Relations who leads investor relations event design and execution.
- Execute event planning operations and logistics, including vendor contract negotiations, budget tracking, travel arrangements, agenda preparation, and correspondence management.
- Produce quarterly virtual convenings for the Unite America investor community.
- Execute in-person salon events for Unite America’s investor community, as well as Unite America's biannual summit, featuring 150+ academics, elected officials, philanthropists, and partners in the democracy space.
- Establish relationships with vendors and venues to ensure smooth event execution.
- Process invoices promptly to ensure timely payment to vendors.
- Collaborate with vendors to create digital and printed marketing materials for events.
- Assist in developing event strategies and brainstorming content ideas, including topics, speakers, panelists, and target audiences.
- Coordinate and monitor event timelines and ensure deadlines are met.
- Plan and manage multiple events concurrently, ensuring successful coordination and execution.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Functional Experience: At least 3-5+ years of relevant work experience. Experience in event planning (virtual and/or in-person events), hospitality, public administration, politics, or a related field is preferred.
- Technical Proficiencies: Proficient in Google Suite (Gmail, Drive, Calendar, Sheets, Slides, etc.) or MS office (Excel). Experience with digital design software is a plus.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking: Capable of managing projects and vendors effectively, with superior attention to detail. Ability to create project plans, establish clear goals and objectives, effectively manage timelines and resources, and problem solve to keep projects on track.
- Communication Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to draft professional and persuasive event-related documents, including proposals and promotional materials.
- "Self-Starter" Orientation: Proactive, determined, self-directed, and possess a "can-do" attitude.
- Professional Discretion: Exhibits a high degree of professional discretion when working with high-profile individuals, ensuring maximum confidentiality is maintained.
- Authentic Commitment to Our Mission & Intellectual Curiosity: Demonstrates passion for American democracy and election reform, regardless of prior experience in the field. Shows genuine desire and curiosity about the issues.
- Humility, Respect, and a Commitment to Working Across Difference: Committed to inclusivity and adept at working with diverse cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives. Excited to collaborate with a team that spans political persuasions and ideologies, contributing to further diversity.
ABOUT UNITE AMERICA
Unite America is a non-partisan, philanthropic venture fund (composed of several legal entities) that invests in candidates, campaigns, and organizations in order to advance nonpartisan election reforms that will foster a more representative and functional government capable of solving America’s most pressing challenges.
Founded in 2014, Unite America and its 25+ person team has grown to be a leader in the democracy reform movement. The organization has existed in its current form, and with its current primary focus, since 2019; in that time, we have successfully mobilized tens of millions of dollars from scores of philanthropists to candidates and reform campaigns across the country.
Recent victories where we played a leading or a major supporting role to win: a major anti-gerrymandering campaign in Virginia; a first-of-its-kind,top-four nonpartisan primary system in Alaska that helped elect one of the most ideologically diverse slate of statewide officeholders in recent history; and a ballot initiative in Nevada to implement Alaska-style reforms in that state. We are poised to dramatically scale our impact in the years to come.
At Unite America, we are working to build a more representative and functional government that puts voters first and reflects the diversity of our country, and an inclusive democracy in which leaders embrace problem-solving over fueling divisiveness. Likewise, we have a vision of building an organization that reflects diverse identities, experiences, and perspectives; a culture of working across differences toward common goals; and a workplace where everyone feels included, respected, and heard. To that end, Unite America is proud to have made diversifying our team, ensuring more equitable opportunity, and fostering a culture of belonging a priority. Our organizational values reinforce this commitment as we work to model the leadership we seek, solve problems together, and take care of one another, to name a few.
ABOUT THE INVESTOR RELATIONS TEAM
The Investor Relations team at Unite America is the driving engine responsible for engaging a national, cross-partisan network of political philanthropists to mobilize over $100M in new resources to the democracy reform movement over the coming years.
We seek to bring a philanthropic venture capital model to scaling a movement that has, to date, remained too disparate and undercapitalized. To do so, we serve as a one-stop shop for philanthropists who want to maximize their impact but do not have the capacity or expertise to conduct their own diligence. The Investor Relations department packages investment opportunities into a cohesive portfolio, convenes our philanthropic community and engages prospective donors, and reports back to them on progress and results.
- Competitive Compensation (est. $60-$80k)
- 401(k) Plan (with up to a 3% employer contribution match)
- Health Care Plan (medical, dental, and vision)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (vacation, sick days, public holidays, and team-wide wellness days)
- Family Leave (maternity, paternity, and adoption)
- Paid sabbatical after 4 years on staff
- Training & Professional Development
- Wellness Resources
- Opportunity to join an inclusive, vibrant, and diverse team
- Last but not least, the chance to make a real difference in guaranteeing a strong democratic future for our country!
The priority application deadline for this position is September 3rd, 2023. We will not review applications until this date. Applications submitted after this date will still be reviewed, but preference will be given to applicants who meet the deadline.