Senior Manager of Communications
Marketing & Communications
Northampton, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2023
RepresentUs is America’s leading nonpartisan organization fighting to protect and strengthen democracy. We unite independents, progressives and conservatives to pass pro-democracy laws, fight corruption, and defeat authoritarian threats. We have won more than 170 victories in cities and states across America since our founding 10 years ago. Each win is one step closer to our vision of making America the world’s strongest democracy by 2050.
RepresentUs is a carefully curated mix of professionals who want to make an impact in the world, and are passionate about strengthening democracy. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and we push ourselves to push the envelope—to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
Democracy is for all, and at RepresentUs, so is our workplace. That's why we're an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to evolving our staff and board to reflect the full diversity of America and the communities we aim to serve. As we seek the best of the best to join our ranks, we welcome applications from all walks of life (including but not limited to BIPOC/people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates) because we know that our democracy-building work has greater impact when we center diverse backgrounds, perspectives and ideologies. Once on the team, we encourage our teammates to bring their whole selves to work. We’re continually working to increase our cultural awareness, strengthen our approach to equity, and foster a climate of inclusion in all that we do. We invite you to belong with us! Read our statement on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging here. Come win with us!
About the Role
The Senior Manager of Communications measurably grows the movement and increases RepresentUs’ brand visibility by leading an on-brand communications and earned media strategy that supports our brand pillars and internal efforts to ensure our external messaging reflects the brand's positioning and strategy. Reporting to the Marketing Director, the Senior Manager of Communications will drive the communications strategy and all PR efforts at RepresentUs, working across departments to generate meaningful news coverage that highlights staff experts, campaign leaders, and volunteers. This position is fully remote and open to candidates living in the United States. The Senior Manager of Communications is expected to work East Coast hours.
- Own press and media relations. (70%)
- Be an integral part of setting the tone for RepresentUs messaging and org-wide values by developing and executing internal communication strategies
- Provide media relations strategic guidance for RepresentUs supported campaigns in cities and states,
- Elevate RepresentUs work and mission in local, state and national press.
- Work with team leads across the org to drive forward earned media strategies
- Work with the Research team to develop white papers and online resources.
- Work with Political Team to develop press plans for state and local campaigns
- Train staff and campaign volunteers on media outreach and interviews.
- Oversee all organization-wide talking points on RepresentUs priority issues and rapid response events.
- Cultivate existing RepresentUs relationships and develop new relationships with journalists, producers, editorial boards, podcasts and other influential sources of public information.
- Drive earned media strategy by working across departments;
- Pitch relevant journalists with news hooks and timely campaign needs;
- Maintain all internal databases and press lists as needed;
- Write press releases and op-eds;
- Research media stories in our issue space;
- Develop relationships with reporters;
- Update website with latest press releases and media hits.
- Support events.
- Oversee internal communications, including the Daily News Roundup
- Other duties as assigned
- Showcase RepresentUs work via blogs and LTEs. (20%)
- Serve as Marketing point person for RepresentUs’ Letter to the Editor program, developing LTE templates and co-hosting volunteer LTE trainings as needed.Oversee RepresentUs blog program on website, including managing freelance writers.
- Manage vendors, interns, and other staff as needed (10%)
- Bachelor's degree preferred or other university degree in Media and Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing or any related field.
- 5-7 years’ experience in PR/Media Relations, prior experience working in politics and/or a fast-paced news environment is a must. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of current and emerging outreach tools and channels, especially social media.
- Natural storyteller with ability to connect RepresentUs to national news moments.
- Strong relationships with national and local press outlets.
- Experience at building strong working relationships and providing strategic counsel to senior leadership.
- Demonstrated leadership, teamwork, and collaboration in a professional setting.
- Ability to develop ongoing relationships with national press
- Excellent writing abilities, particularly for drafting compelling press releases, blogs, and op-eds
- High-level knowledge of political campaigns and political communications
- Creativity and storytelling ability
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability for media measurement tools, tactics and capabilities.
RepresentUs is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at RepresentUs.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison at email@example.com.
Essential functions of the role include:
-Working from a computer for long periods of time;
-While performing the duties of this job, the employee may also frequently be required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders; and
-This position has fewer than 20%travel expectations and is eligible for flexible work hour arrangements.
Compensation and Benefits
We’re committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and pretty awesome benefits, including health, dental, vision, wellness perks, a dependent care account, a $1,500 professional development stipend, and a retirement benefit. Plus short-term and long-term disability and life insurance.
Oh, and we have this wild idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get four weeks of paid vacation a year, plus personal and sick time.
This is an exempt position. The anticipated starting salary range for the Senior Manager, Communications position is $ 90,000-$110,00 Starting salary is based on the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience. To counter pay inequality and uphold internal parity, we use a nonnegotiable starting salary system, while benchmarking our pay to competitive markets.
This position is part of the bargaining unit represented by Office and Professional Employees International Union, Local 153 (OPEIU).
Please apply online at represent.us/careers and be sure to attach all requested materials. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing ADA@represent.us. No phone calls please.
RepresentUs reserves the right to require background checks including criminal, employment, education, licensure, etc. as well as credit and motor vehicle when applicable for certain positions. Background checks are conducted after an offer of employment has been made.
The Senior Communications Manager will access sensitive/confidential information as part of their duties, and will be required to sign a Confidentiality/Non Disclosure Agreement specific to this information as a condition of employment.
See more open positions at RepresentUs
Something looks off?