Senior Donor Relations Manager
Northampton, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2023
RepresentUs is America’s leading nonpartisan organization fighting to protect and strengthen democracy. We unite independents, progressives and conservatives to pass pro-democracy laws, fight corruption, and defeat authoritarian threats. We have won more than 170 victories in cities and states across America since our founding 11 years ago. Each win is one step closer to our vision of making America the world’s strongest democracy by 2050.
RepresentUs is a carefully curated mix of professionals who want to make an impact in the world, and are passionate about strengthening democracy. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and we push ourselves to push the envelope—to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
Democracy is for all, and at RepresentUs, so is our workplace. That's why we're an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to evolving our staff and board to reflect the full diversity of America and the communities we aim to serve. As we seek the best of the best to join our ranks, we welcome applications from all walks of life (including but not limited to BIPOC/people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates) because we know that our democracy-building work has greater impact when we center diverse backgrounds, perspectives and ideologies. Once on the team, we encourage our teammates to bring their whole selves to work. We’re continually working to increase our cultural awareness, strengthen our approach to equity, and foster a climate of inclusion in all that we do. We invite you to belong with us! Read our statement on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging here.
These Cultural Agreements are the principles that guide the work we do and how we work together. They were developed collaboratively by a team of staff across the organization. It is critical to our success that all current and prospective staff review this document and agree to center these ideals in our work. We believe playing by and iterating on these rules will maximize the positive impact our organization has on the strength of America’s democracy.
Come win with us!
About The Role
RepresentUs seeks an experienced professional to serve as a member of the development team and right-hand to the Vice President of Development. The Senior Donor Relations Manager (Sr. DRM) will lead the development and management of a portfolio of 150+ donors and prospects throughout the country capable of making annual gifts of fifty thousand dollars or more, with a goal of securing a significant number of new gifts and gift upgrades.
Under the direction of the VP of Development, the Sr. DRM will focus on our major donor program across the country. A key aspect in this role is to significantly grow a giving program for members who give $50,000+ for three years with a goal of 100 members. The successful candidate will identify and qualify prospects from our robust pool of donors, create a moves management strategy alongside the Development Operations Manager and VP of Development to build these relationships and bring gifts to fruition. There will be a large amount of ownership and autonomy in these efforts. This role will spend a significant amount of time directly interacting with donors and helping donors fulfill their passions and interests through their funding decisions. Travel is anticipated to be up to 50% with a travel budget provided.
The Sr. DRM will work closely with the Development Operations Manager to help manage and strengthen donor relations, evaluate various gift opportunities, and coordinate and facilitate communications to ensure cohesive donor cultivation and stewardship efforts. They will be responsible for direct solicitations for both 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 priorities to meet funding needs. They will involve and engage appropriate partners within RepresentUs’ team, keeping appropriate stakeholders apprised of interactions, issues, and/or concerns, and address questions as needed.
This is a full-time remote position and must be located within the United States.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Independently manage a portfolio of individual prospects and donors through all phases of the cultivation and solicitations process. Meet and exceed fundraising goals through the successful closure of gifts.
- Enthusiastically and accurately represent RepresentUs program plans, priorities, and mission in all external and internal communications.
- Keep well informed of program plans, changes, and funding needs, becoming deeply familiar with the policy priorities and partnerships of RepresentUs’ work and communicating complex information with fluency and ease.
- Collaborate with the Vice President of Development on specific strategies to close significant gifts and help identify and strengthen donor cultivations opportunities.
- Prospect and strengthen external partnerships and relationships for donors who have a capacity to give at or above fifty-thousand dollars annually.
- Creatively lead, build and maintain relationships with major donors and prospective donors through phone, virtual, and in-person meetings.
- Strategically design and execute comprehensive plans for each donor/prospect in the portfolio to include moves management in order to exceed annual goals and build a healthy pipeline.
- Partner with colleagues, executive leadership, and volunteers on donor engagement opportunities.
- Work cross-functionally to assist development efforts to professionalize the department, create opportunities for growth, and submit creative ideas for diversifying RepresentUs’ philanthropic support.
- Work with the appropriate staff to secure project information and use this information to develop materials for cultivation and stewardship of individual donors and prospects, such as highly personalized proposals that are in line with donor interests and programmatic priorities, impact reports that detail progress made as a result of a particular gift, and other thoughtful, donor-centered collateral.
- Track portfolio activity and progress. Work with the Development Data Manager to create reports as required by management that accurately reflect portfolio activity and performance.
- Work closely with the VP of Development and the fundraising team to build and best leverage relationships based on donor interests and assist in driving the VP’s portfolio.
- Work East Coast hours unless traveling to different time-zones for fundraising.
Skills and Experience
- 8+ years of experience in philanthropy, or another highly similar role
- Experience working with donors who have the capacity to make five-figure and six-figure gifts
- 5+ years of experience working with a CRM
- Well versed in moves management and the major gift fundraising cycleExcellent written and verbal communication skills
- Great interpersonal and emotional intelligence skills
- Ability and willingness to work with people from across the political spectrum and leave your personal political ideals at the door
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, both working autonomously and part of a team
- Must be able to anticipate needs, adapt or modify plans, and adjust timelines or processes in response to quickly changing circumstances
- Experience managing up and delegating tasks to ensure efficiency and effectiveness
- A team player who brings high energy and a passion for reducing corruption and increasing citizen engagement in the U.S. political system
- Commitment to working beyond partisanship and commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) are required
- Direct experience working with issue-oriented organizations, on campaigns, or with political committees or non-profit organizations
- Previous 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) fundraising experience
- Experience with Monday.com (or other project management software) and Slack
- Previous experience working in EveryAction
- Previous experience working in a hybrid or virtual work environment
RepresentUs is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at RepresentUs.The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. All employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison at ADA@represent.us.
Essential functions of the role include:
-Working from a computer for long periods of time.
-While performing the duties of this job, the employee may also frequently be required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders.
-This position has less than 50% travel expectations and is eligible for flexible work hour arrangements.
Compensation and Benefits
We’re committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and pretty awesome benefits, including health, dental, vision, wellness perks, a dependent care account, a $1,500 professional development stipend, and a retirement benefit. Plus short-term and long-term disability and life insurance.
Oh, and we have this wild idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get four weeks of paid vacation a year, plus personal and sick time. This position is virtual and open to residents in the United States working East Coast hours.
This is an exempt position. The starting salary range for the Senior Donor Relations Manager position is $90,000-$110,000.
Starting salary is based on the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience. To counter pay inequality and uphold internal parity, we use a nonnegotiable starting salary system, while benchmarking our pay to competitive markets.
This position is part of the bargaining unit represented by Office and Professional Employees International Union, Local 153 (OPEIU).
Please apply online at represent.us/careers and be sure to attach all requested materials. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing ADA@represent.us. No phone calls please.
RepresentUs reserves the right to require background checks including criminal, employment, education, licensure, etc. as well as credit and motor vehicle when applicable for certain positions. Background checks are conducted after an offer of employment has been made.
The Senior Donor Relations Manager will access sensitive/confidential information as part of their duties, and may be required to sign a Confidentiality/Non Disclosure Agreement with regards to that information.