Managing Director, Communications
Moonshot Strategies is a New York City-based political consulting, strategy, government relations and communications firm co-founded by CEOs Jenny Sedlis and Jason Ortiz, two of the city’s most respected and well-connected political strategists. It was founded in September 2021 and offers a full array of services, including lobbying, grassroots advocacy, media relations, and crisis and strategic communications.
Moonshot knows that solving complex problems in New York takes more than effective lobbying. A comprehensive strategy also requires outside tactics like communications, advocacy, and grassroots mobilization. And most of all, it requires experts who put their relationships to work for their clients. Moonshot offers all of that, and more, in-house. No firm knows New York better – and no firm can match the expertise, relationships, and record of success we bring our clients.
We are seeking a motivated, organized and connected individual to join our growing firm. The Managing Director, Communications leads the communications division at Moonshot Strategies and is a senior-level client service professional with advocacy communications experience across different industries. We are seeking a strategic communications leader who will manage multiple client accounts, build and execute strategy and increase client relationships through thoughtful partnerships. The Managing Director, Communications will lead and execute on activities including but not limited to designing communications and campaign plans including paid media strategy, media relations, rapid response, writing and editing client materials, new and existing client relationship development and more.
- Serve as the client relationship lead for multiple accounts, leading and overseeing the day-to-day execution of plans and providing ongoing and best in class client service.
- Lead strategic communications planning and execution across traditional and social channels and platforms.
- Provide thoughtful and ongoing strategic media relations and rapid response counsel to executive leaders.
- Navigate, pitch and respond to a highly NYC-based media audience, pitch and craft proactive stories and responses.
- Write and edit client facing communications and/or on behalf of clients including op-eds, talking points, releases, bilined stories, emails and more.
- Accountable for quality control of all projects and deliverables.
- Participate in networking, relationship building, lead generation and new business pitches. Develop presentations and present in pitch meetings.
- Manage full time staff and contractors/consultants on projects. Oversee professional development of staff.
- Serve in a firm-wide leadership capacity as needed.
- 10+ years of progressive experience in media relations and strategic communications in government, corporate, union/advocacy and/or agency environments.
- Experience managing/working with a diverse range of clients in the private and public sectors.
- Strong political acumen; NYC political/government experience a plus.
- Can-do attitude. Driven and curious about our clients and excited to be a part of a growing firm. Takes initiative and is proactive, finding solutions before an issue becomes a problem.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organization, project and staff management skills.
- Strategic communications experience with or on behalf of high-profile individuals or organizations.
- Strong reporter relationships in the media with a specific concentration in NYC.
- Bachelors’ degree required.
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Must be in New York and available to work at least three days a week in the Tribeca/SoHo office.
Salary: $225,000-$275,000. Moonshot Strategies offers comprehensive benefits and flexible PTO.
E-mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online at www.chaloner.com.
Moonshot Strategies' work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working. We are an equal opportunities employer.