Assistant/Associate Director of Membership - Washington, D.C.
Leadership Now Project
SUMMARY: We seek dynamic leaders to grow the scale and impact of our community of members in the Washington, D.C. area and across the Southeast. The Membership Advisor is a full-time role that will be responsible for continuing to attract extraordinary new members through referrals and prospecting research and outreach, and matching them and existing members with opportunities to engage and have impact. Advisors will work with Leadership Now’s Director of Membership. Leadership Now’s success has been enabled by activating MBA alumni and professional networks, experience with and understanding of those networks or relationship management will be critical to success in this role.
WHO WE ARE: The Leadership Now Project is a membership organization of business and thought leaders who are committed to high-impact solutions to renew American democracy. Leadership Now has four guiding principles that transcend political parties: to protect democracy while renewing it; to promote fact and evidence-based policymaking; to create an economy that works for all, and to embrace diversity as an asset. Incubated in 2017 by a group of Harvard Business School alumni, Leadership Now taps a diverse array of professional, industry, and university alumni networks to grow across the country and activates the resources, networks, and skills of our members. Today, Leadership Now has chapters in eight cities, members in 30 states and continues to grow.
THIS ROLE IS RIGHT FOR YOU IF YOU ARE
- Passionate about democracy, our principles, and share our belief that business has a role in protecting our democracy.
- A relationship builder and connector who excels at understanding what interests and motivates people.
- A skilled communicator with the ability to coordinate events to engage members.
- Excited to work in a startup environment. You’re proactive, flexible, and embrace teamwork.
KEY PROJECTS / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set growth targets, including acquisition and retention goals, for your chapter and region in collaboration with the Membership Director and membership team, and create and track a robust membership funnel
- Generate new member referrals among the existing membership base and through market research and prospecting, further expanding Leadership Now’s reach in alumni and professional networks
- Work with the Membership Director and team to test new approaches to recruiting and engaging members and to identify new communities to engage (e.g. current MBA students, members of partner organizations, etc.)
- Identify members who might be interested in stepping up to contribute more to Leadership Now in the form of upgrading memberships or taking on volunteer leadership roles within the organization
- Develop efforts for member community building in each region, including ○ Creating local programs and events
- Identifying and prioritizing issues for local or state-level engagement, specific political experience working with members of Congress and congressional staff preferred
- Developing local communications
- Building a regional membership committee that will ultimately own the responsibility of membership recruitment and engagement under the direction of the Advisor
- Supporting national strategies and advocacy
- 5+ years experience in business, business development, investor relations, organizing, sales, fundraising, or related fields (experience with membership organizations is a plus)
- Alignment with Leadership Now’s principles, model, and issues focus
- Customer/client-service orientation and a track record of building strong relationships
- Entrepreneurial and innovative; ability and desire to launch and run initiatives end-to-end
- Experience with, membership in, and understanding of alumni and/or business professional networks
- Experiences with or open to learning new strategies for building community (e.g. ability to combine effective digital communication with in-person and peer-peer engagement)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and comfort level with the typical Leadership Now member (busy, high-powered professionals)
- Self-starter who can build a portfolio of members through market research and identifying potential leaders aligned with our mission
- Organized with the ability to prioritize and communicate updates
- Experience with volunteer committee management
- Experience with planning, managing, and executing events
- Experience using a CRM (Hubspot, Salesforce), data-driven analysis of performance indicators preferred
- Experience in policy and politics a plus, interest in strengthening democracy a must