Head of Design (Remote)
Posted on Saturday, August 5, 2023
Good Party is looking for a remote, full-time Head of Design ready to lead design for the tech tools and brand needed to unlock our mission.
About Good Party:
Good Party is the movement to make people matter more than money in our democracy. We’re building a movement and free tech to end America's two-party political dysfunction.
Americans are losing faith in democracy – especially young people. The rigged, two party system has turned Independent into a dirty word to make voters trapped between voting for the lesser of two evils or wasting their vote on an alternative. Whether you’re concerned about the climate, privacy, inequality, or our individual freedoms, solutions are held back by the dark doom-loop of dysfunctional partisan politics.
At Good Party, we help real people run winning campaigns to actually serve their communities. We connect our supporters to people-powered and anti-corruption Good Candidates who will truly represent us in office.
We recognize that Independent and 3rd party candidates lack the resources to be viable against Republicans and Democrats, even though a majority of Americans identify as Independent. In fact, a majority of eligible voters (over 130M Americans), including more than half of Millennials and Gen Z, say that neither Republicans, nor Democrats represent them…but they keep getting elected!
Good Party’s solution is to provide graduates of Good Party Academy, and candidates around the country who take our pledge, with cutting-edge tech tools to win, without selling out to the Democrats or Republicans. Our free AI Campaign Manager and team with 50+ years of campaign experience make running, winning and serving as an independent possible.
We are building a community to end the corrupt two party system and then harnessing that community’s collective power to elect the most promising independents around the country. By leveraging social media and creators, we’re making our mission to make people matter more than money mainstream
Good Party is founded by serial entrepreneur, Farhad Mohit, with over $1B in exits — Flipagram (now TikTok), Shopzilla, and BizRate.
Why you should work at Good Party:
- Join us in solving the biggest problem of our time – fixing our democracy – so all other problems can be solved
- We’re a Public Benefit Corporation that prioritizes social impact over profit
- Innovative Bitcoin denominated deferred bonus plan, allowing you to have the amazing upside of being in a startup while working on a truly meaningful mission
- Work where and how you like, on a fully remote team spread across the country
- Join a passionate team with diverse political views focused on one mission
- 100% coverage of health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your dependents
- We encourage you to take time off to recharge and have an unlimited PTO (sick and vacation) policy. This is a marathon, not a sprint. We believe a work-life balance is needed to get there.
- We’ll make sure you’ve got what you need to work remotely through our workspace setup stipend
- If you work from home, we give $50/month to help with your internet and other expenses. If you prefer co-working, that’s an option we can discuss too.
- Fully funded for our mission. No stressing over whether the next round of funding will come through. Focus on making an impact. That’s what matters here.
What you'll do:
- Turn product requirements into world-class designs, user flows, interfaces, and promotional collateral to empower candidates, voters, and volunteers
- Champion an iterative, fast-paced, data-driven design philosophy – prototype, user test, launch, and learn from data plus user feedback to iterate further
- Manage our team’s full-time Junior Designer. Coach and give feedback to support their professional development
- Partner closely with Product Manager and Development team to produce well-designed solutions and bring them to life.
- Utilize current design contractors, including graphic designer, and internal resources to maximize overall design throughput in collaboration with Product Manager.
- Leverage your user obsession to deeply understand Good Party’s user personas, devise user testing experiments that reveal more insights, and quickly utilize inputs for iterative implementation.
- Collaborate regularly (live and async) with the Junior Designer, Product Manager, Developers, and the Founder
- Partner with Marketing to continuously improve Good Party’s brand and visual identity based on advancements with Product Design
- Be a key member in discussions with leadership, product, and stakeholders to align product visions and bring these to reality
Who we're looking for:
- You’re up for the audacious challenge of transforming our democracy for Good.
- A great day for you involves lots of hands-on time in Figma. You love digging into a project and quickly turning out iterations to test. You’re well versed in balancing your creative drive to explore many possibilities with the speed needs of a startup.
- You’re a proven A-player with an 8-10+ year track record of innovative design, increasing responsibility, and impact, ideally within startups or small organizations where you've launched and led design for products that went from 0 to 1. We care more about talent and trajectory than years of experience.
- You prefer to work within lean and Kanban processes alongside product and development. You’re skilled at keeping talented, speedy developers busy.
- You bring a clear creative direction from the highest level and are hands-on living and breathing the details to ensure tight execution. You communicate your ideas and reasoning clearly, both visually and verbally.
- You’re skilled at holding the larger vision in your mind, considering how each experience connects with the current user journey and future product roadmap.
- You have strong interest, creative ideas, and some experience utilizing the latest, cutting edge generative AI tools for design.
- You typically think mobile-first when designing interfaces. You keep up with emerging patterns and trends in UI/UX.
- You have high empathy and want to understand what will drive people to become engaged candidates, voters, and volunteers. Given the range of natural skepticism to cynicism about politics, you understand the importance of meeting people where they’re at and the power of simple design to change the status quo.
- You’re able to work independently and collaborate with others to iteratively solve problems in real-time. You like jumping on a quick Zoom to figure something out together. You thrive working at startup speed. Our solution is desperately needed and the issues of our time are all bottlenecked by our corrupted democracy.
- You align with our team’s values: We Are – Honest, open, and mission-driven. We Believe – People are Good. We Create – Results that inspire and grow our movement. We Love – Freedom and owning responsibility for all that we do. We Party – Together with a purpose!
- You have past experience as a people manager for direct reports
- You have experience studying, working, or volunteering in politics, political activism, or democracy reform
- You have experience working in small, tight-knit, fast-paced remote team
- You’re sick of sitting on the sidelines watching our democracy fail to meet its potential
The salary range is $125,000 - $190,000 (commensurate with experience) for this remote, full-time position with excellent benefits. We reserve the right to modify this pay range at any time. Title and salary will also be commensurate with experience. We are also hiring for a mid-level Product Designer who will report to this role. The link to that application can be found here.
We are not considering candidates currently based outside of the US, so please only apply if you are physically located in the US. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide sponsorship for any of our roles at this time.
Ready to learn more or apply?
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing organization dedicated to making people matter more than money in our democracy. If you have a passion for social media and are excited about Good Party, we hope you'll apply!
You can also keep up with the latest by signing up at GoodParty.org. If you know anyone else who may be interested, please share this job posting – thanks!