Director of Human Resources
Location: Remote within the US
About our organization:
At Democracy Works, we help Americans vote, no matter what! Our vision is to make voting a simple, seamless experience for all Americans so that no one misses an election, and our team works to help make this happen. This includes TurboVote , the Voting Information Project (VIP), How To Vote, and Ballot Scout. Alongside the CAA foundation, we co-founded the Civic Alliance. Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team that's representative of the voters we serve.
Salary Range: $97,000 to $102,225 (Most regions in the US, offers will vary based on experience and location-based cost-of-living calculations.)
- Level: Senior
- Supervisory: Yes
The Human Resources team of Democracy Works aims to give our staff the resources and support they need to do their jobs well. Together, we create internal systems and policies, provide counsel (HR strategy related), oversee personnel budget, and cover a range of employee engagement tasks. We are a team of (2 - 3) supporting an organization of about 60 employees in 24 different states.
We are seeking a Director of Human Resources to support the leadership team of the organization. As a part of the team, you will execute and improve upon our HR processes while ensuring compliance with labor laws.
- Recruit, onboard, coach and retain HR team members
- Lead, support and implement the full cycle HR (from talent acquisition, career development leadership development to off boarding)
- Develop, implement and manage the employee performance program with a focus on organizational, team and individual goals and job expectations. Performance management includes reviewing, analyzing and evaluating performance regularly using a systematic approach
- Strategic workforce planning for the organization (needs of a growing organization with strategic recruitment, retention plans to meet human capital needs)
- Responsible for comprehensive benefits administration including health insurance, time off, compensation and merit programs
- Collaborate on employee hiring, onboarding and organizational training & development initiatives with leadership and managers
- Lead in the development and implementation of human resource policies, procedures and practices with equity and inclusion
- Work as a collaborative leader in the organization serving the needs of Democracy Works employees
- Ensure compliance with federal and state labor regulations (staff team is remote)
- Maintain employee files and records using our HRIS
- Manage salary administration and compensation planning in partnership with the CFO and COO of the organization
- Execute on other tasks as may be assigned
- Empathetic in your relationships with others at the organization
- Able to work well with a range of personalities
- A clear communicator (written and verbal)
- Comfortable advocating for changes to long-time practices
- Well versed in issues of systemic oppression, including racial justice, and committed to deepening your knowledge
- Well versed in employment/labor laws
- Experienced in performance management development and implementation
You have experience:
- As an Human Resources professional managing a team
- Working in a union environment
- Navigating ADA Accommodations and processes.
- Using GSuite (Gmail, Google Docs/Sheets) and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Executing your responsibilities according to general human resources policies and procedures
- Providing HR support in a remote working environment
- Using HRIS systems
- Experience implementing successful performance management programs
- Additional HR certification, training, or education will be a plus
- Experience in tech organizations will be a plus
How we work
Because elections take place everywhere, our employees work from practically every state in the union. We embrace working remotely as the default. Our positions require regular, daily use of a computer (including the use of G-Suite and Slack) to conduct work and communicate with colleagues. We also have regular operating hours (10 am to 6 pm Eastern, Monday to Friday).
For those who prefer to work from an office, we are headquartered in Brooklyn, NY, and we provide support for co-working spaces around the country. We are happy to share more details about the office, including accessibility information, as on-site visits are planned.
There may be travel for occasional staff retreats as part of this role.
As a member of the team, some of the benefits you’ll enjoy include:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision option for you and your dependents
- 12 floating holidays and 25 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- $1000 towards professional development activities
We also offer a 403(b) retirement plan, stipends for equipment and internet reimbursement, and annual Calm or Headspace subscription reimbursements.
Please attach your resume and answers to the following questions:
- How did you find this job listing?
- Why are you interested in this role and working at Democracy Works?
- Which experience on your resume do you believe best positions you to be successful in this role and why?
- Please share any HR-specific certifications you currently hold
- Are you authorized to work lawfully in the United States for Democracy Works?
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) in Hiring
Democracy Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics.
As part of our application, you’ll see an optional form used to collect U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) demographic information. Please note the categories used in this survey are set by the EEOC and may not reflect all existing categories.The data collected in this form is anonymized and is used in our EEOC reporting and in ongoing assessment of our recruitment practices.
Democracy Works follows the I-9 requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Immigration sponsorship is not available for this position, and you must possess your own work authorization in the U.S. now and in the future to continue working in this position.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions about our process or if you need an accommodation for a medical condition during the hiring process.