Director of School Support
Civic Spirit is looking for an experienced educator and teacher mentor to serve as our Director of School Support. You will manage over 200 educators and school administrators (and growing!) in our nationwide network programs and support them in designing and implementing high-quality and engaging civic education.
This position is full-time. While primarily remote, 2-3x a month you will be expected to visit schools within the New York Metropolitan / Northeast area (travel is covered by Civic Spirit).
- Oversee and run our teacher coaching program
- Provide one-on-one coaching to cohort members (brainstorming with teachers to design classroom lessons, projects, or events and integrate civic pedagogy & resources)
- Develop a trusting and productive relationship with all Educators Cohort members and hold educators accountable for meeting their personal self-generated goals
- Make connections & foster cross-cultural partnerships for schools
- Co-design with the Director of Programs and Dean of Pedagogy to ensure that all Civic Spirit programs are in alignment with Civic Spirit’s methodology.
- Partner with the team to create thoughtful measures of evaluation and impact.
- Partner with the Development Associate to compile success stories and data.
- Ensure successful implementation of the annual Student Delegates Program (Civic Spirit’s annual year-long student fellowship) and manage the Program Coordinator.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least three years as a classroom teacher
- At least 2 years of teaching American history, government, or civics
- Experience with and comfortable in a religiously and politically diverse environment
- Experience supervising and/or coaching other teachers
- Ability to successfully build and foster relationships
- Deep knowledge of instructional strategies and resources
- Ability to coach, motivate, and develop teacher capacity in both content and pedagogy
- Ability to provide support to individuals of all backgrounds and perspectives in a non-judgmental and confidential way and respond with curiosity and compassion
- Ability to invite honesty, risk-taking, and self-reflection
- Self-directed and proactive
- Multi-tasker and strong problem-solving skills
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Compassionate and positive attitude (humor a plus!)
- Excellent team player
Civic Spirit is a leading and awarded organization that partners primarily with faith-based schools and educators across the country to design, build, and implement excellent, engaging, and inspiring civic learning for the classroom and beyond. We work with Jewish, Catholic, Islamic, and Christian schools and organizations in our cohort program, as well as provide periodic learning opportunities to teachers from all types of schools.
This is a unique, fun, and rewarding entrepreneurial opportunity to be an executive member of an expanding organization at the forefront of advancing civic responsibility, building bridges, and enhancing the landscape of American society.