Overview of Position Description – Campaign Manager : Better Elections San José (BESJ), a grassroots organization working to improve San José elections and empower voters by adopting reforms like Ranked Choice Voting (RCV), is looking for a full-time Campaign Manager to lead a transformative campaign to upgrade San José’s voting system. Hiring and supervision will be managed by BESJ which is a non-partisan, 501c4 grassroots organization founded in 2021 by activists advocating for RCV adoption locally who have previously run and won statewide and local referenda in California for other electoral reforms. Working hand-in-hand with our grassroots leaders and volunteers, coalition partners, and donors, the Campaign Manager will harness the tools needed to win this RCV ballot question in November of 2022.
- ● The Campaign Manager will lead the team in convincing the City Council to place RCV on the November 2022 ballot.
- ● The Campaign Manager will lead the team to win RCV in San José this November. They will be responsible for winning majority voter support for the ballot question.
- ● They will create a campaign plan and execute its specifics including management of field, fundraising, strategic coalitions and partnerships, and communications.
- ● A high priority for this campaign manager will be the coordination and implementation of fundraising operations, including responsibility for ensuring the BESJ remains compliant with the relevant election code.
- ● They will develop a core team of volunteers, and manage and coordinate the volunteers, partners, and other paid staff in order to: grow the supporter base; drive volunteer involvement; strategically target, persuade and ID the electorate to support RCV; minimize opposition; secure endorsements and maintain relationships with influencers / electeds / allied organizations; develop a social media presence
- ● They will ensure volunteer communications and events are appropriately structured, well attended, impactful, and promoted well.
- ● They will develop a GOTV plan and supervise GOTV activities for the win.
- ● They will establish a reporting system for vendors, consultants and key operatives,manage the operational budget / finances, meet aggressive goals for voter outreach / ID as well as maintain systems and databases to measure field-based activities, and present metrics to the board in a Weekly Campaign Report.Qualifications
- ● Experience: 2-10 years campaign / organizing experience. Experience being Campaign Manager for at least one ballot question or candidate, preferably in San José, preferably over multiple campaign cycles. Volunteer training / management, relationship management, lobbying / advocacy experience. Demonstrated, measurable results from past successful campaign and advocacy work. Proven track record of successful financial and budget management.
- ● Goal Setting/Achievement: Show planned / achieved goals and tracked metrics / accomplishments in resume.
- ● Tech skills: Competence with modern campaign management tools such as Nation Builder, NGP VAN/VoteBuilder, OpenVPB, CallHub, Hustle, Relay, GroundGame, EveryAction, GetThru, MobilizeAmerica, Slack, Reach, OutVote, Google Suite, etc. and other web-based project management and collaboration platforms.
- ● Characteristics: Demonstrated commitment to economic, social, racial, and gender justice. Understanding of the San José political landscape, strong support for RCV, proven leadership, adherence to an ethos of non-partisan public relations and messaging, including engagement with individuals from a broad spectrum of political views, and ability to show restraint on expressing personal partisan opinions, and exceptional people skills. Experience hiring, managing, and developing a diverse staff.
- ● Travel: Must be available to travel up to 80% of paid time within San José to meet partners, press, donors and assist state volunteers on an in-person basis, as public health conditions allow. Access to a reliable vehicle is necessary.
- ● Language: Fluent in Spanish preferred
- ● Strong personal ties to San José is a plus. Residency, preferred. Supervisor: Chairman of the Board of Directors, BESJ Schedule: Full-Time including many evenings and weekends, required Compensation and Contract terms: Full time commensurate with experience for 4 months. If RCV is on the ballot, an extension is likely through November 2022.How to Apply: Send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com Better Elections San José provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employeesand applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or military or veteran status in accordance with all applicable laws. We don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of the above. We're committed to building a diverse leadership team. Women, people of color, and members of other historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.