Business Network Manager
Reporting to: John McCrea, Business Network Director
ABOUT AMERICAN PROMISE
American Promise is committed to building a movement to empower, inspire, and organize Americans to win passage of a federal constitutional amendment to allow Congress and the states to reasonably regulate and limit money in our elections.
Our team is passionate, collaborative, courageous, adaptable, and fun. We love setting big goals and learning lessons on the way to achieving them. We celebrate our differences and work to ensure that our staff, donors, volunteers, and supporters reflect the tremendous diversity of the American people as we strive together on the most American of national projects: amending the US Constitution.
The For Our Freedom Amendment authorizes limits and regulation of money used to influence local, state, and federal elections. American Promise unites Americans in advocacy for the Amendment to combat systemic corruption and protect our voice, votes, communities, and future.
We empower people in all 50 states to connect, learn, act, and lead efforts to mobilize their districts, states, and networks to ensure we pass this amendment. By working together—across party lines and city limits—we can make our belief a reality. We also lead and partner in specific state campaigns to advance our constitutional amendment: 22 states have taken formal action to support the amendment, with six winning state ballot initiatives among them.
The Business Network Manager is an exciting, highly visible role within American Promise, with the potential for fast growth and promotion. As the Business Network Manager, you will work directly with members of the business community, connecting them with information, resources, and activities to empower their advocacy. You will grow the reach and effectiveness of our existing Chamber of Commerce and Rotary Club relationships. You will create and deliver programming that brings business leaders together to advance the Amendment. Working collaboratively with all departments, your programming will enable business leaders to use their positions of influence to build awareness and political will with their peers and elected officials. Your work strengthens a culture of shared commitment, participation, and dedication to improving cross-partisan civic engagement across small, medium, and large businesses.
The position is full-time, 40-hours per week. Travel within the US is likely required 3-5 days per month.
- Engage and build relationships with both existing and new business groups and networks through in-person, virtual, phone, and email interactions, with the goal of developing and leveraging allyships for national and local communications, events, and actions leading to legislative victory.
- Travel to priority states – including Maine, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Arizona and others in the near future – to help implement our “ready-to-ratify” strategy that cultivates civic conditions on the ground.
- Facilitate meetings, interview supporters, and moderate panels, enabling business participants to strengthen and share their perspectives and motivations for advocating for the amendment.
- Develop programming and resources for business leaders to become advocates who expand network membership, take on leadership roles, and collaborate to advance the amendment.
- Lead events to build awareness about the effect of political spending on representation, policy, and business impacts/outcomes, and the role of an amendment in addressing the issues.
- Analyze the effectiveness of business network programs against American Promise strategic goals — and constantly implement improvements.
- Work with American Promise’s Programs & Campaigns team to ensure network programming strengthens the connection of business leaders, groups, and networks with state legislatures, legislative and ballot initiatives, Congressional representatives, staff, and committees.
- Collaborate with our Digital/Communications staff to build awareness and feedback loops from network activity, including through the use of social media.
- Ability to identify and create opportunities to connect business networks and groups, and to adapt framing and terminology to each group.
- Ability to speak clearly (after internal training) about the effect of political spending on our government and policies, especially those related to the economy, corporate practices, industry regulations, and the impact on American businesses, business leaders, employees, and the strength of the U.S. economy.
- Strengthen connections with the leaders and members of national and state-based business associations, groups, schools, and networks. Existing relationships with Chamber of Commerce and/or Rotary Clubs is a big plus.
- Cross-cultural competence and sensitivity, the ability to self-assess, and a sense of humor.
- Public speaking skills, including moderating and facilitating conversations that inspire others to take action.
- Experience with creating programming and facilitating meetings that connect and motivate people with different interests and skills to commit to action, collaboration, and leadership.
- Demonstrated confidence and competence for outreach to small, mid, and senior-level business executives and thought leaders.
- Demonstrate commitment to the values of empowerment, positivity, courage, grit, respect, candor, and cross-partisanship.
- Most likely BA/BS degree and 5+ years of work experience
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- $65-75k, commensurate with experience
- Professional development opportunities
- Health insurance (medical/dental/vision)
- Flexible spending account (FSA) for pre-tax health and dependent care benefits
- Paid 4 weeks vacation, 13 holidays, and personal/sick days
- Flexible schedule
- Passionate, inclusive, and collaborative work environment
American Promise celebrates the diversity of our nation and seeks to build a team and a movement that reflects that diversity. We welcome all qualified applicants who share this vision. Applicants from marginalized and underrepresented communities or applicants that speak another language in addition to English are strongly encouraged to apply.